More Important Camp Details
Camp will offer both boys and girls between the ages of 8 -16 years old an amazing mountain biking camp experience. Our camp provides instruction on the bike and off that will have you riding like never before in a short period of time whilst incorporating a fun learning environment. Our coaching professionals are super stoked to help you take your riding to the next level!
- Setting up your bike properly
- How a mountain bike works
- Gearing and braking
- Weight distribution and body positioning
- Correct pedalling technique
- Cornering and traction principles
- Obstacles and drops
- Climbs - traction, line choice, gearing and pedaling
- Descending - body position, line choice, speed
- Basic bike maintenance
Upon arrival, all participants are evaluated by the staff so that their own instructional needs can be addressed throughout camp. In addition, campers will be evaluated and then split up into smaller groups according to age and ability.
Camp Check-in: First day at 8:45am.
Camp Hours are: 9:00am - 3:00pm every day.
Camp Check-out: There will be a graduation ceremony at 2:45pm on the final day that all parents are encouraged to attend (location will be announced at camp).
CAMP MEALS AND GEAR
ALL RIDERS ARE REQUIRED TO BRING THEIR OWN BIKE and provide their gear, sunscreen and meals/drink each day!
In the event of wet weather you will be notified if camp is cancelled and/or rescheduled for the day/s and what your options are moving forward!
A detailed camper registration packet containing check in location, health/release forms, emergency contact info, and a list of things to bring will be emailed to all registered campers after completing the registration. Please bring these forms with you to camp on the first day as we will be collecting them.
The trail starts at the Trail Head at Quarry Road, Hornsby near the Crusher Plant (at the Trail Head Sign) and heads north downhill for approximately two kilometres of amazing flowing berms, rollers and board walk. A one kilometre gradual and scenic climb takes the rider up a fire trail, then turns left to follow the single track that gradually climbs up behind the TAFE and Pool, and then shoots the rider back up to Quarry Road at the fire trail gate.
The Old Man Valley has trails that meet IMBA guidelines for Green Circle (easy), Blue Square (Intermediate) and Black Diamond (Advanced). Green circle trails are typically wide, quite flat, and void of obstacles. The Green Circle Loop is located on the large open grass field in the middle of Old Man's Valley. Blue Square Trails are narrower and include obstacles of intermediate difficulty, but give the rider the option to bypass difficult obstacles if they so choose. The main loop is currently mostly Blue Circle, with two main options to take the Black Diamond sections. Black diamond trails are narrow and contain mainly unavoidable obstacles. ( IMBA - Trail Difficulty Rating System)
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:45am - 9:30am Registration and Sign In
- 9:30am - 9:45am Bike Safety, Bike Set Up and Helmet Checks
- 9:45am - 10:15am Warm up lap on pump track
- 10:15am - 11:00am Braking techniques on track
- 11:00am - 11:15am Rest
- 11:15am - 12:00pm Cornering techniques
- 12:00pm - 12:45pm Rest and Lunch
- 12:45pm - 1:30pm Descending techniques
- 1:30pm - 2:00pm How to climb like a pro
- 2:00pm - 2:15pm Rest
- 2:15pm - 3:00pm Obstacles and drops
- 3:00pm Finish
- FINAL DAY 1 lap format race putting all the techniques into practice