29 Oct, 2018
Nutrition Tips For Young Active Kids!
Are you looking for help to find out what foods kids who run around all week playing sport and having fun should be eating? You’ve come to the right place!
Active kids should be eating well balanced meals which include protein and carbohydrates.
- Protein is a nutrient that helps muscles recover and grow. Most kids get enough protein through a balanced diet.
- It is ideal to be consumed throughout the day but can be especially beneficial after exercise to help your muscles recover from that hard work they just did!\
- Some protein rich foods include lean meat and poultry, fish, eggs, dairy such as milk and cheese, legumes like chickpeas and beans, leafy green vegetables like spinach, and nuts just to name a few!
- Carbohydrates are the main source of fuel for your body.
- Which means carbs are essential in your daily food intake because they give you energy!
- Eating carbs before exercise can help give your body the energy it needs to work and it is suggested to eat within a few hours of activity so your body is stocked up and ready to go!
- High carb foods to choose which will give you sustained energy are foods like, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whole or multigrain bread and cereal, lots of fruit and vegetables are very important too!
- Water is one of the most essential things we need for our body it keeps us hydrated and keeps us cool.
- If we aren’t hydrated enough a few things could happen such as; headaches, poor concentration, tiredness, dry mouth and cracked lips.
- When we exercise we lose water through sweat so it is important to drink even more water before, during and after activity to make up for it!
Take these tips to help get your body prepared for SCA’s school holiday sports camps!
Share This Multisport Article